Tutor - Applicant Pool
- - Learning Support
- Sylva, NC, USA
- $8.00 - $10.00
- Part Time
SCC tutors provide individual and small group tutoring to curriculum students who request assistance with course material.
1. Attend trainings towards CRLA Level I and II certification each semester.
2. Maintain program-specific paperwork and submit documentation in a timely manner.
3. Implement skills-based tutoring, which focuses on developing student's critical thinking.
4. Maintain consistent, professional contact with student, Tutor Program Supervisor, and other faculty.
5. Tutoring takes place in areas designated by the Tutor Program Supervisor. Tutors are expected to conduct their tutoring sessions in the assigned areas.
• Must be enrolled at Southwestern Community College (SCC), Western Carolina University, and/or another college OR already have earned a degree
• Must have earned a grade of A or B in course being tutored
• Must have earned an overall 3.0 GPA (Grade Point Average) or greater
• If currently a student, two (2) faculty members must be listed in the references section of the application - the Tutor Program Supervisor will contact for recommendation.
Knowledge and Skills:
Must have the ability to communicate with students and staff members effectively as well as to utilize resources, physical and electronic, in order to assist students. Tutors also must have a comprehensive understanding of the course for which they tutor.