Biology Instructor - Macon Campus
- - Macon Campus
- Franklin, NC, USA
- $42,390.00 - $46,548.00
- Full Time
- State Health Plan
*** Open until filled*** Anticipated Start: Fall 2019
Statement of Primary Purpose
Instruction in assigned Biology (including anatomy and physiology) classes at the Macon Campus.
Curriculum Faculty, exempt
Direction received: Receives guidance and direction from the lead Biology instructor; receives direct supervision from the Dean of Macon Campus.
Direction given: No authority or responsibility for supervision of others; however, collaborates with Biology and Chemistry adjunct instructors on the Macon Campus.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
● Teach a course load consistent with college workload policy.
● Plan and organize instruction in ways that maximize documented student learning.
● Employ appropriate teaching and learning strategies to communicate subject matter to students.
● Stay current in the subject matter through professional development, professional organizations, and professional meetings, conferences, or workshops.
● Learn and use technology to enhance teaching and the educational experience.
● Modify, where appropriate, instructional methods and strategies to meet diverse student needs.
● Facilitate the development of communication skills and higher order thinking skills through
● Contribute to the selection and development of instructional materials in accordance with course objectives.
● Incorporate relevant general education competencies into assignments and assessments.
● Develop, update, and share course syllabi in a timely manner.
Evaluation of Student Learning
● Establish meaningful student learning outcomes for courses.
● Develop and implement methods that measure student progress toward student learning outcomes.
● Evaluate student performance fairly and consistently, and return student work promptly to
● Maintain accurate records of student progress, and submit grade records according to established deadlines.
● Demonstrate sensitivity to student needs and circumstances.
Support of College Policies and Procedures
● Teach classes as assigned on the Macon Campus.
● Post and maintain regular office hours to ensure accessibility to colleagues and students.
● Maintain confidentiality of student information.
● Exercise stewardship of college facilities and materials.
● Record and provide attendance data in accordance with College policies and procedures.
Participation in College, Division, and Program Activities
● Serve on college, divisional, and program committees as assigned.
● Participate in meetings and events required by the college, division, and program administrators.
● Respond in a timely fashion to information requests from college, division, and program
● Support and collaborate with both part-time and full-time colleagues.
● Contribute to departmental and divisional curriculum development processes.
● Develop an annual science supply and equipment budget for the Macon Campus.
● Submit purchase requisitions for supplies and equipment for science classes.
● Maintain an accurate inventory of science supplies and equipment.
● Participate in graduation ceremonies.
● Demonstrate productive interpersonal skills in communication with students, colleagues, staff and administrators.
Contribution to Growth and Enhancement of College Mission and Programs
● Maintain familiarity with college goals, mission, and long-range plans.
● Contribute to planning and development processes through appropriate mechanisms and channels.
● Participate in professional activities that contribute to the educational goals of the college and its constituents.
● Perform professional responsibilities in accordance with pertinent goals, missions, and plans of the college, division, and programs.
● Participate in marketing, recruitment, and retention of students, faculty and staff.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Perform other duties as assigned.
Required: Master's degree in Biology, or Master's degree in a related discipline, with a minimum of 18 graduate-level hours in Biology. At least one year of teaching experience.
Preferred: Master's degree in Biology. At least one year of community college teaching experience with demonstrated use of teaching technology.
Knowledge and Skills
Ability to use computers and software to support instruction, including learning management system, word processing, email, Internet, and student information database. Ability to teach in technology-supported modalities.
Ability to teach instructor-led classes on the Macon Campus.
Working Conditions and Environment
Typical teaching schedule will include daytime and/or evening courses on the Macon Campus, depending on the needs of the department to meet enrollment demands. Occasional travel outside the service area for professional development may be required.
PC and typical teaching equipment.
This position description covers the essential functions and duties associated with this position. Other duties may be assigned by the President or appropriate supervisory personnel. The College reserves the right to alter duties, responsibilities, conditions, working hours, and job title as necessary.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Follow Us On Social Media