Tutor Level 2 - Applicant Pool
- - Learning Support
- Sylva, NC, USA
- Part Time
Statement of Primary Purpose
The primary role of the peer tutor is to support student learning by providing free tutorial services for requested courses. Tutors must have excellent communication skills and the ability to adapt teaching methods to meet the needs of diverse students, as well as have a desire to see students succeed. The tutor may be required to implement instructional activities in both individual and group tutorial sessions both online and face to face. These sessions will focus on a subject matter where the tutor has demonstrated academic success.
Part-time, non-exempt staff
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
● Provide appointment-based, skills-based help to individuals and/or small groups, commonly: BIO 168, CHM courses, ENG 111,112, MAT 143, 152, 171, DBA 110, 120, PHY 110, 151, AST 111, ACC courses
● Promote academic achievement.
● Monitor students' attendance and progress
● Seek support when students are continually absent
● Note unsatisfactory progress in sessions and identify when student/s may benefit from additional college resources
● Support and encourage independent learning by applying training and following expected procedures
● Coordinate meetings and schedules with tutees as appropriate
● Attend training sessions to earn CRLA Level I/II certifications. LEVEL II required by end of 1st year of employment
● Set and accomplish goals.
● Submit paperwork in a timely manner (reports and timesheets).
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Attend professional development and training to earn CRLA Level I credential by the end of first semester of employment and CRLA level II by the end of second semester of employment.
● AA degree or higher or current enrollment at a College or University
● Exhibit course competency: A or B in courses being tutored
● Current GPA of 3.0 or 1-3 years of established work experience in the field.
● 2 recommendations from related field
Knowledge and Skills
● Communicate effectively.
● Desire to help and eager to motivate fellow students.
● Show positive and enthusiastic attitude.
● Model professionalism, including reliability and punctuality.
● Indoor, lab setting.
Working Conditions and Environment
Attend training session(s) each semester.
Computers, scanners, printers, copiers.
● Degree in progress at another institution $11/hr
● AA or AS or 2-year equivalent at 4-year institution $12.50/hr
● 4-year degree $14.50/hr
● MA or higher $16.50/hr
This position description covers the most essential functions and duties associated with this position. Other duties may be assigned by the President or appropriate supervisory personnel. The College reserves the right to alter duties, responsibilities, conditions, working hours, and job title as necessary.