SMSC Technology Coordinator
- - Arts & Sciences
- Sylva, NC, USA
- Part Time
Statement of Primary Purpose
The primary purpose of this position is to provide support for the annual Space Apps Hackathon event held in October. This support involves technical skills such as coding and development of apps or websites as well as recruitment. To recruit young people for the event, the person who has this position will run monthly coding workshops for youth in grades 6 through 12. In addition, they will work closely with the project coordinator to develop a bootcamp which prepares participants for Space Apps.
Professional, Part-time, non-exempt
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
1. Work with Program Coordinator to develop teacher support materials for implementation of North Carolina Computer Science Standards using NASA sources
- Develop a list of NASA resources which support the NC Computer Science standards for the SMSC repository
2. Expand the regional STEM Ecosystem - including social media engagement
- Form partnerships with other organizations in western NC who develop software and use computer coding for their operations. These partnerships will focus on providing relevant projects for the monthly coding workshops with young people.
3. Organize & run monthly CoderDojo meetings.
- Communicate with youth and their parents about the monthly coding workshops
- Set-up the physical (or remote) space for youth to learn/practice coding skills
- Develop a different focus activity for each monthly workshop
4. Provide technical support for NASA's annual Space Apps Challenge.
- Work online or in-person with Space Apps teams to use NASA data for hackathon challenges over the entire event weekend
- Communicate with NASA experts regarding data available
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in STEM related field
Knowledge and Skills
Technical skills in computer science
Physical activities include moving computer equipment and electronic supplies from storage to the workshop site.
Must be licensed driver in NC with safe driving history.
Working Conditions and Environment
Indoor environment; standing/walking for majority of assigned shift.
The applicant must be familiar with:
• Raspberry Pi
• Rocket chat
This position description covers the most essential functions and duties associated with this position. Other duties may be assigned by the President or appropriate supervisory personnel. The College reserves the right to alter duties, responsibilities, conditions, working hours, and job title as necessary.